Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Kenwood GE 7030 Graphic Equalizer (distorted output sound)




This was a tuff one, took me two days to figure this one out. Symptoms: when unit was power on, all functions would work but, The output sound had lost of static in it. After a minute are so It would it clear up and sound good. I anticipate it was probably Cold solder joints. I did find a few, but that didn't fix the problem. All the power reading were good, but I knew it was a problem in the Power section. I figured I better start checking those pesty capacitors. The power section is not that big so I just checked them all. I found numerous Marginal one, the biggie was a 10uf 35volt C93. This baby was reading in the Pico farads. Defiantly "BAD" replaced it and now unit is good as new.Location of capacitor seen below.   



.  

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I have Kenwood GE 7030. There is no sound even if it is turned off. I know that it would play if it is off, but it does not. Do you have an idea what to check? Thank you.

Dynatron said...

I just bought a faulty GE 7030 off eBay with the reported issue being "sound is unfortunately distorted whilst on graphic bar display mode", based on your repair I took the plunge. Just wanted know was the Cap you replaced looking physically distressed i.e. bulging? Mine seems to have Elna caps (even all the same colour, unlike your image)through out with no typical bad cap signs or el cheapo caps insight .. if your bad cap looked pretty much pristine then I'll head straight for the one you pointed out it as well, as I suspect that it only being a small 85 degree cap so close to heat sink is probably a reoccurring fault in these EQs

Unknown said...

Did anyone ever get this issue fixed? I have the same problem with mine. Low volume. Not the pre amp. I had some distortion issues for a bit but now it just sounds way lower. When I turn off the signal for the EQ I get full volume from my system.

esa1966 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
esa1966 said...

Thank a lot,
I didn't have sound at the output. It was indeed C93.
esa1966

Unknown said...

Même problème. Je viens de remplacer le C93 et tout fonctionne maintenant parfaitement!

Enrico said...

Anch'io stesso problema, risolto con 0,20€ sostituendo il famigerato c93 !
Grazie mille a voi, adesso funziona perfettamente questa meraviglia di equalizzatore.
Ciao, Enrico.